IGAD V1 > IGAD V2

Hi all,

So originally I planned to start my 'Y2 - Block A - Neppis Racing Project' with a little section on the change in my education from IGAD V1 to IGAD V2. However, this little section turned into a slightly big section... 🙈 I thought it might be better to separate it from the project post and give it its own post. Here we go...

What happened in V2

At the start of the Second year of my education, the school completely turned their plans around. Instead of the normal courses>assignments>exams>grades structure of V1, they now wanted to use a single-project>personal learning curve and evidence>one grade structure, called V2. This allowed the students to pick projects that helped them to learn the specific skills they wanted. Once a week we would have classes specific to our chosen path, which would be connected to what kind of artist you wanted to be (e.g. Character artist, Technical artist, VFX artist etc.).

Although this flip in the education scared me because it would be a lot less structured, it also promised some good things for me. I could for example not do any texturing but focus completely on effects in Houdini.

Unfortunately, V2 wasn't as it was promised. As with a lot of big education flips, there were still a lot of hiccups, delays and faults in the system. Tools that should have been used for grading, weren't ready; little to no courses were provided (especially not for the learning path I chose); Teachers were still very inexperienced in the new system, the number of contact hours with them was almost zero; Rules on what to deliver and how to do things were constantly changed. We were sort of the Guinea pigs of this new system. Which for them worked out fine, they have learned from the past few years and all its problems and successes. V2 is now (I think) a solid system for all the newer students. However, because everything had to be tested on my year of students - my education dropped a lot in quality. We basically had to figure everything out on our own; almost no lessons or courses; everything learned by our own trial and error. Which did help me to develop strong self-learning/ problem-solving skills, but I can only imagine how much more I could have explored and learned if the school would have provided more... For example, they could have created lists of the mandatory skills for certain art positions, and courses you would have to follow to get those skills. So that I could see, if this is what I want to become than this is what I must learn and these are the courses I need to follow to get there. Instead of okay I need to join this project, I want to learn to work with Houdini. However, the project doesn't need/support Houdini, it needs an animator > now I need to be an animator and learn animator things. (This is literally how it went for some people, waste of time spent on skills you don't need).

Anyway, now I really need to stop my little rant xD

Comments